OT: MS Exchange backups

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 10:16:25 GMT 2007

On 24/11/2007, Denis Beauchemin <Denis.Beauchemin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:
> Gerry Doris a écrit :
> > shuttlebox wrote:

> >> Something is very wrong. We use Legato Networker on Solaris and it
> >> backs up many TB during the night including at least six Exchange
> >> servers each with larger databases than yours. Of course we spread the
> >> full backups so most servers only gets a diff or inc backup but still
> >> the full backups never takes more than a few hours.
> >>

> > We generally install either Legato or Veritas and backup many Exchange
> > servers/TBs overnight.  Check to make sure that the servers are being
> > kicked off at different times...don't try and start everyone at
> > midnight!  250GB is nothing.
> I agree with all of you. It should not take so much time...  disks are
> on a local raid5 box.  I think the time is spent extracting people's
> mailboxes from the db and copying them to disk...  but still, it takes
> way too long...
>
> How do you restore a single mailbox or some emails?  Do you have to
> restore the hole db and then extract the relevant emails?  If so, it is
> a waste of time and resources...  unless there isn't any other way...  I
> think this is what they are trying to avoid but obviously it is not
> working very well...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Denis

I'm not the Echange admin (thank god!), but IIRC what he does is that
he effectively "doubles" the size of the backup by exporting all the
mailboxes first.... And the echange module is supposed to facilitate
this too, but ... this was easier:-):-).
Our Exchange database seem to be the same saze (or slightly larger) as
yours... Shouldn't be taing 48 hours:-).

If you like, I can have a chat with him come monday, to get the gory details.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn