Beginner Question

UxBoD uxbod at splatnix.net
Wed Nov 21 09:44:06 GMT 2007

Andreas,

1) As part of the installation for Postfix and MailScanner the main.cf file is changed so that a header check is performed on every email that is processed.  As "Received" appears in all messages, RFC compliance, then the message is put into a hold queue.  MailScanner monitors this directory and when it sees messages it will process them, and on successfully processing, will the deliver them into the outbound queue for Postfix to deliver.  If MailScanner was to die half way through processing a message it would still be safe, as it does not remove the message from the hold queue until such time successful processing has taken place.

2) Yes the queue file structure is their "own internal thing", but we are talking about OSS here so anybody is free to view the code and make the necessary changes to MailScanner.  Obviously when upgrading Postfix on a server you have to ensure that the revision being installed is compatible with MailScanner, so when they do/if change the structure wait until a suitable MailScanner revision has been released.

This is purely my understanding, and I am sure somebody will correct my mistakes ;)

Regards,

--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s https://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: C759 8F52 1D17 B3C5 5854  36BD 1FB1 B02F 5DB5 687B
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0x5DB5687B
// Phone: +44 845 869 2749 SIP Phone: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net