Minimum hardware capacity for 35k e-mail scans/day

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:17:50 GMT 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 7:08 PM, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Another criticism of SDBM: I just tried converting my Bayes db files
> (670Mb) to SDBM and they grew by more than a factor of 3 ! (2048Mb)

670 MB? I had problems with earlier versions of SA that the tokens
file and seen file never stopped growing, I could expire the tokens
file but nothing helped with the seen file. I assumed that a huge db
must be detrimental to performance so once in a while I removed the
files and let it start over, I find that the hit ratio is not much
affected of this.

In later versions I've never had any problems with this, both the
tokens and seen files reach a maximum size and stay there. The db is
way less than 670 MB, more like 67 MB, so I'm wondering if you've had
your db since a few versions back of SA?

I will check tomorrow for any difference in db size after my switch to SDBM.

Our resident SA guru, Matt Kettler, is a user of SDBM according to a
post from the SA list a year ago. Maybe he will comment on it here
too.

--
/peter