Way OT: Minimum hardware capacity for 35k e-mail scans/day

Rob Sterenborg R.Sterenborg at netsourcing.nl
Mon Nov 19 11:20:32 GMT 2007

mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info wrote:
> Drew
>
> Well yes I'm from the UK, but my English grammer is terrible
> - results of a dodgy 1970's edukashun ;-)
>
> But as for my Swedish - well I won't starve (used to work for
> Swedish co. about 10 years ago), but it's no-where
> approaching the fluency Glenn has for English. But then
> anyone under 50 in Sweden/Holland seems to have a better
> command of the Ebglish language than I do..

Hopefully not. ;-)

You have to know that..
- We get educated in English for at least 4 years (in the 70's-80's, may
be more now).
- A lot of/Most usefull information of any kind is available in English.
- Almost every movie we see is English spoken and subtitled in
[Dutch/your language here].
So, we read and hear a lot of English although our pronunciation may be
horrible. However, there are a lot of words less commonly used that a
lot of people have never heard of and would never use so I think, as a
native English speaker, you'd spot the difference.

If that's specific to the Dutch and Swedish I don't know. I do know that
e.g. in Germany virtually every English(foreign)-spoken movie is
translated into German (with horrible German voices not even close to
the original voices), which IMHO is a reason for picking up the language
less easily. Other countries may very well do the same thing.

And yes, the magical age seems to be around 50. When my parents grew up,
German was the predominant second language and they still prefer to
watch German broadcastings over English (without subtitling).

Grts,
Rob