Minimum hardware capacity for 35k e-mail scans/day

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Thu Nov 15 20:16:55 GMT 2007

Julian Field a écrit :

> Also, is it worth me changing the default spam.assassin.prefs.conf file
> to set this on all new installations?
>
> Or should I specifically *not* change to this setting for some good reason?
>
> Thanks for your opinions,
> Jules.
>
> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> * PGP Signed: 11/15/07 at 18:13:21
>>
>> Can someone add that to the Wiki please?
>> This is worth knowing!
>>
>> Steve Freegard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Edward,

>>> Ok - sounds like Bayes is a factor that is causing the slowness.  Do
>>> you have Bayes in MySQL or DB_File?
>>>
>>> If DB_File then I would suggest setting 'bayes_learn_to_journal 1' in
>>> spam.assassin.prefs.conf as from experience it will reduce the lock
>>> contention and speed-up batch processing considerably.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Steve.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve Freegard
>>> Fort Systems Ltd.
>>>
>> Jules

Julian,

According to the man page:
           bayes_learn_to_journal   (default: 0)
               If this option is set, whenever SpamAssassin does Bayes
learning, it
               will put the information into the journal instead of
directly into the
               database.  This lowers contention for locking the
database to execute
               an update, but will also cause more access to the journal
and cause a
               delay before the updates are actually committed to the
Bayes database.

After reading this, I was not under the impression I should turn it on
on my servers...

Denis

--
   _