Exim timeouts - MailScanner related?

Richard Thomas richard.thomas at psysolutions.com
Thu Nov 15 17:00:01 GMT 2007

Our setup is that we have a mail server which is scanning emails using
exim4/mailscanner/spamassassin which then forwards to another server
which is just running just exim4. Most of the time, everything is
running well but occasionally, I am seeing SMTP data timeouts in the
logs of the receiving server. The issue seems to be that when the
scanning server sends to the target server, it is not correctly putting
the period on a line by itself.

For example, here is the tail end of a file in the exim4 out queue:

(No CRLF at the end).

Here is the hexdump of a packet capture on the target server:

0033220   t   d   >   <   /   t   d   >   <   /   t   r   >   <   /   t
0033240   a   b   l   e   >   <   /   c   e   n   t   e   r   >   <   /
0033260   b   o   d   y   >   <   /   h   t   m   l   >   .  \r  \n
0033277

To be honest, at this stage, I'm suspecting exim since it seems to me
that it should be able to reasonably handle this situation. But then
again, I'm not intimately familiar with the exim queue file format and
it could be that it expects it to be properly formatted and MailScanner
apparently *has* touched this file so I guess it's possible that it has
somehow stripped a required CRLF. I'm at the early stages of
troubleshooting at the moment so if anyone has any insight on this, I'd
be very grateful to here.

I'll just note that this email was apparently received by the scanning
server with no issues.

Rich