OT: Best virtual machine server?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 18:46:45 GMT 2007

Folks,

I have now pretty much decided that hopefully RC1 of Windows Server 2008
will be out by the time I need the server (first half of December) and
I'll run that. This should go pretty fast, and is easy to manage. I have
used Virtual Server 2005 quite a bit, and am pretty pleased with it. It
also doesn't cost me anything financially, which is quite important as
I'm buying this out of my own money. The hypervisor in Win2008 appears
to be quite a bit better than that in Virtual Server 2005. And it should
be pretty secure too, which will help as this box will go in our main
DMZ. Win2008 doesn't even come with a GUI by default if you go for a
"core only" installation.

But positive comments are still much appreciated. Flamewars can go and
set fire to themselves :-)

Jules.

P.S. The hardware is £1450 worth of quad-core 5xxx series Xeon CPU, 8Gb
RAM, 2 500Gb SATA disks mirrored with a hardware RAID controller. So
that should run Win2008 just fine. I'll sling a 1Tbyte USB disk on it to
do occasional backups. It's not intended as a production service, just a
service to be able to provide quick response to people who ask me if
they can borrow a server for a few months. So it will run several
low-load services for people, some Windows, some Linux. Not being able
to run Solaris will be a bit of a pain, but I have other spare servers
that could do this at a push.

P.P.S. I haven't done a Win2008 install yet, so any and all tips are
very welcome. Particularly from any Microsoft employees lurking on this
list (who may want to contact me off-list).