Minimum hardware capacity for 35k e-mail scans/day

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 18:35:59 GMT 2007

Are you actually seeing mail queues getting big, particularly in
exim.in/input?
Just having a high load-average figure is not a good sign that the
machine is struggling, you need to look to see if it is keeping up with
the incoming mail. What size do the batches get to be? Best thing to
look for is
    tail -f /var/log/maillog | grep 'New Batch'
and see how many it is scanning at a time. If this is setting less than
about 4 or 5, and not walking up to 30 in a batch, then that really is
getting overloaded. Ignore the "messages waiting" figure, that includes
messages that are in the process of being received from remote SMTP
servers belonging to other people.

Quad-core Xeon boxes with 8Gb RAM are pretty cheap these days. I just
bought one with mirrored 500GB SATA disks and a hardware RAID
controller, along with a quad-core CPU and Gb RAM for under 1500 quid
(i.e. about US $2500 or less) from Dell.

Let us know how big your batches get.

Jules.

Jules

- --