OT: Best virtual machine server?

Bahadir Kiziltan bahadir.kiziltan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 21:55:23 GMT 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 11:31 PM, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've been badly bitten by VMWare, so that's out. No discussion there. It
> can't even keep its clock running to time :-(
>
> I've used Parallels quite a bit, but not suited to a server environment,
> it's a workstation tool.
>
> I've used Microsoft Virtual Server quite a bit, well suited to servers,
> dead easy to manage, I already have a VM in MVS that I will need to move
> to the new physical system. We get it free (as in beer). Big
> restriction: only supports 32-bit guests, no 64-bit guests at all :-(
>
> Xen?
> Never used it, have been reading the RedHat docs on it, looks like it
> needs a lot of text editing, but there also appears to be "virt-manager"
> that does a lot of the hard work for you. I want a system that is easy
> to get up and running, and easy to do everything with the host and the
> guests without physical access to the host hardware, once the host is setup.
> One question: what is the difference between domain0 and the host
> physical system?
>
> Any others I should be seriously considering?
>
> Basically what I'm doing is this: I am often asked to run a service for
> someone in a research project that doesn't have (yet) the hardware they
> need, and want to borrow a server for a month or two. So I'm spending
> some of my toy budget on a cheap 1U Dell server to do this in an
> organised way.
>
> So I'm looking for your thoughts and advice, as I know some of you use
> virtualisation in quite a big way.
>
> How can I move a Microsoft Virtual Server guest machine to the new
> server setup? And the same from a VMWare guest? I've two I have got to
> move, and don't want to have to totally reinstall from scratch if I can
> avoid it.
>
> Thanks folks!
>
> Jules

Hi,

Transition can be done by using the convertor freely available from;

http://vmtoolkit.com/files/default.aspx

MS Virtual Server does not support Linux distrubitons apart from RHEL
and SuSE, officially. But you can manage to install and run **others**
with little more effort.

MS provides a package called VMAdditions that contains daemons. One is
addressed to time sync issues and it synchronises the time of the
guest machine with the host machine's.

I managed to work Centos5 and Slackware 10.2 on MS virtual server.
CentOS have to be installed in text mode.

Bahadir.