smtp vrfy

Simon Jones simon at saq.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 09:22:38 GMT 2007

Hi, that's exactly what I'm trying to do - I run a server with a generic
public domain with lots of users on it - the domain has been around for
12 years so attracts mucho canned meat of the spam variety.  All I want
mailscanner to do is say to the destination server "hey there, do you
have this address?" before actually sending the message, which would
take some pressure off the spooler on the destination server.

I think it IS working but the gateway is starting the smtp vrfy
transaction with <postmaster> rather than <postmaster at domain.com> -
here's the error off the destination machine: "unacceptable mail address
in MAIL FROM:<postmaster>"

I'm running a seperate machine with postfix only and this does use a
postmaster at domain.com address for outside smtp transactions, but I can't
find the config to specify what address the postmaster should use - only
that it is an alias of root in /etc/postfix/aliases

Thanks again chaps, the answer is probably blatantly simple but I'm not
seeing it :(