Sendmail and Unexpected EOM

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Fri Nov 2 19:03:19 GMT 2007

Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>>> Scott,
>>>
>>> I modified these TCP settings in RHEL5 to correct this situation:
>>> (from /etc/rc.local):
>>> /sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_wmem="4096 16384 131072"
>>> /sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_rmem="4096 87380 174760"
>>>
>>> For some unknown reason it wouldn't work in /etc/sysctl.conf...
>>>
>>> Denis
>>>
>> Did you put it in /etc/sysctl.conf without the quotes?
>> It seems to hold with a sysctl -p. At least it doesn't barf.
>>
> This is what I put in /etc/sysctl.conf :
> # Fix for tcp window scaling issue related to broken Internet routers
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem="4096 16384 131072"
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem="4096 87380 174760"
>
> So no, I didn't remove the quotes... does it matter?

I don't put quotes around these entries when I make them - not sure if
it makes a difference.

Here is what we use for BarricadeMX systems which should work fine
elsewhere as long as you have 1Gb RAM or more:

# TCP Tuning
# http://www-didc.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html
# Added by smf at fsl.com 2007-07-17
# ---------------------------------------------
# increase TCP max buffer size
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
# increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits
# min, default, and max number of bytes to use
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
# don't cache ssthresh from previous connection
net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1
# increase SYN backlog from the 1024 default
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 8192

Kind regards,
Steve.