inodes problem

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:48:29 IST 2007

On 31/05/07, Sarah Trayser <waytotheweb at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I am using the mailscanner as an end user without much knowledge since
> > it was installed for me.
> > I have a VPS and i saw inodes getting to 100%.
> > I searched this list and found an old issue from 2002, but that was
> > fixed long time ago.
> >  var/ spool/ MailScanner/ incoming/  get full of directories and they
> > are not cleaned/removed. And i do suppose that these are all temp
> > files.
> > So the Q, is this a bug, or a configuration, or better does somebody
> > know a fix?
> > I am running 2.53  of Mailscanner.
>
> It's not actually version 2.53 of MailScanner, it's version 2.53 of
> our installer script for MailScanner on cPanel servers. The version of
> MailScanner he's using would be v4.58.9. I directed him to post his
> question to this list as we do not know what the answer is. Temporary
> empty directories seem to be building up in the directory
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/. They are not quarantine files. He's
> using exim as the MTA. Shouldn't these directories be getting deleted
> automatically on a regular basis?

Ah. That explains that. Perhaps you should look at incorporating the
MS version somewhere visible too:-).

On to the error... Yes, these should be cleared out.
The <PID> directories go when the processes (children) are cleaned up
and restarted, the individual directories for each message of a batch
should be cleaned when the batch is ended. The Postfix bug I mentioned
was in the latter case.
Is the directories (/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/<PID>) empty?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn