Question...

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Wed May 30 01:13:53 IST 2007

While I agree with the line of reasoning you're using, I don't think
I've ever considered anything you write down (or type up) to be private.
You can only make it (trivially|reasonably|strongly) difficult for a
third party to get to (for example, using encryption), but in the end
the moment you express your thoughts in writing, "the cat's out of the
bag". I think there's even something in the bible about secrets being
"like putting a burning oil lamp under the bed" or something. It kind of
parallels the situation of Jews who avoid writing the name of God on
something perishable, out of respect for God.

That being said,  I agree that what you consider "private communication"
should remain private unless there is proper reason to lift the
protection of privacy that one would expect (or have a right to,
depending on jurisdiction). Even so, I also believe there is merit in
letting the users know that unless you properly protect (again, through
whatever technological means are available) the content of your
communication, there is always the possibility that someone will be able
to intercept or alter it.