Enhancement Request ?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:36:52 IST 2007

On 25/05/07, --[ UxBoD ]-- <uxbod at splatnix.net> wrote:
> Im stupid! It was mentioned that this was read into memory at daemon
> startup.  But perhaps on large rulesets it would speed up this process ?

It probably would... Should the hashes be able to be REs too?

But then... I'd consider a ruleset that needs to be more than 1000
lines to be somehow broken.
IIRC the OP was using domains/email addresses to whitelist in MS,
which is plainly not that smart. That OP said something about the risk
of spoofing being negligible. Sigh.
Well, I used to do that too. Not as big a set as 4000 entries, just a
few hundred domains... Guess what: That was enough for all sort of
badness to slip through as W/L.... solidly undermining the
reputation/trust for the MailScanner system. Today I use a very
limited spamassassin whitelist instead (less than 10 domains...
actually less than 5:-), and that is it (apart from 127.0.0.1, of
course:).
Oh well, everyone to their own...:-).

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 15:05:37 +0100, "--[ UxBoD ]--" <uxbod at splatnix.net>
> wrote:
> > I was thinking about a question which was asked the other day about
> maximum
> > size for a rules file. How about implementing something similar to the
> > Postfix configuration where you could specify :-
> >
> > Maximum Message Size = hash:%rules-dir%/max.message.size.rules
> >
> > and store the rules within a hashed database.  What do you think ?
> >
> > --
> > --[ UxBoD ]--
> > // PGP Key: "curl -s http://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
> > // Fingerprint: 543A E778 7F2D 98F1 3E50 9C1F F190 93E0 E8E8 0CF8
> > // Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0xE8E80CF8
> > // Phone: +44 (0) 845 869 2749  SIP: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net
> >

> --
> --[ UxBoD ]--
> // PGP Key: "curl -s http://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
> // Fingerprint: 543A E778 7F2D 98F1 3E50 9C1F F190 93E0 E8E8 0CF8
> // Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0xE8E80CF8
> // Phone: +44 (0) 845 869 2749  SIP: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net
>

> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> believed to be clean.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn