OT: Modified access and relay-domains file, still get 550 5.7.1

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu May 24 20:11:03 IST 2007

Hello,

I avoided sending this question here since it's off topic but I can't
find a solution after about a week so here goes. :)

I'm trying to set up Swiftmailer (an SMTP library for PHP) to send email
from my web machine through my MS box and then on to wherever it's
going.

I have a few remote users that send email through their cellular phones.
The way I got the phones to send successfully was by adding the
carrier's sending mail server to /etc/mail/relay-domains. Now that I'm
trying to relay mail from one of my own servers I thought I'd just add
that servers host name to relay-domains (and restart) and everything
would be fine. But alas...

Here is what my log says:

May 18 12:58:22 filter sendmail[16033]: l4IJwMD4016033:
ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<swiftmail at swatgear.com>,
relay=hachiroku.swatgear.com [67.17.248.232], reject=550 5.7.1
<swiftmail at swatgear.com>... Access denied

I did some research (and asked a question in another forum) and thought
that maybe I needed to add the IP address of the sending server to
/etc/mail/access and then 'make'. Still no good.

At this point I have both the FQDN and external IP address of the
sending server (as seen in the above log line) in both /etc/mail/access
and /etc/mail/relay-domains.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Chris.