yum based install

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 24 19:16:01 IST 2007

Julian Field spake the following on 5/24/2007 11:01 AM:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Julian Field spake the following on 5/24/2007 9:36 AM:

>>> Do I need to do anything to make yum installs work more easily?
>>>
>>> Jules
>>>

>> I think it was mentioned near the top of this message about adding the
>> dependency for perl-Filesys-Df. If the rpm has the proper requires,
> The problem with that is it doesn't help you if you have installed any
> of the Perl modules using CPAN. This is why the MailScanner rpm file
> doesn't have a long "requires" list containing all the Perl modules it
> needs. If you have any of the Perl modules installed via CPAN, you have
> the module but don't have the RPM for it.
>
> Some people (and there are quite of few of them) prefer to use CPAN to
> manage their Perl modules as it avoids the problem where I have to
> 'force' the installation of an RPM because the Perl module builds into
> the same location as that used by the main perl rpm itself. Quite a few
> of the Perl modules I use do this. You will notice the 'clashes' error
> messages when the Perl rpms attempt to install during my install.sh script.
>
> A Perl module can choose to live in one of 3 places:
> (1) the main perl library tree (these are the troublemakers)
> (2) the 'vendor_perl' tree
> (3) the 'site_perl' tree
>
> If a module chooses (1) then the RPM built from it won't install without
> being forced. And if you force it, it will overwrite any later version
> that may be installed already.
>
> So people use CPAN instead as it happily installs into (1) without any
> trickery that they don't know about, and it won't overwrite newer versions.
>
> Unfortunately, the whole concept of RPMs doesn't work very well with how
> the Perl library structure works. And I can't fix that.
>

> Jules

I personally don't have a problem with your installer. I use it at every
upgrade "just because". Since I already have to beat them with a stick to
install things I also like such as Vispan and mailwatch, I don't mind a little
 extra work occasionally. That is what I make the "big bucks" for.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!