Strange scenario with Mailscanner + Sendmail

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 22 19:16:07 IST 2007

A better way of using a whitelist entry to avoid spam-scanning mail
coming from your own network is to use the IP addresses of your internal
network rather than the email domain name.

With
    Spam Checks = %rules-dir%/spam.checks.rules
and then in /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.checks.rules put this:

From: 10.11.12. no
FromOrTo; default yes

where 10.11.12.* is the IP range of your internal network.
You can use most formats of IP range in there.

Luis Marcelo Achite wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m using Mailscanner with Sendmail to block spam on my network. On
> the last days, some strange issue began to happen. Mailscanner is
> liberating spam and saying that the email is on the whitelist. The
> fact is that the message IS SPAM and the email IS NOT on the whitelist
> file.
>
> Looking on the log and following the processes, I can see that on the
> first reference of the message, it is showing the correct external
> email, but when Mailscanner acts, it is showing that the user is on
> the whitelist. Checking the header of the message, I can see that
> "X-IAIBR1-MailScanner-From" has the correct email, but "From" (and
> "X-Originating-Email" and "X-Sender") has an internal email, which is
> obviously on the whitelist.
>
> I suppose the spammer found a way to modify these fields and deceive
> Mailscanner.
>
> How can I protect my network from this kind of attack?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information on this.
>
> Regards.
>
> Marcelo

Jules

--