FPs and SA 3.2.0

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Tue May 22 09:22:12 IST 2007

Yeah apologies Paul I was tired :(  I am having a play around with the code
at the moment. What would happen though if a RBL was purely numbers ie.
12345 ?

On Mon, 21 May 2007 21:23:40 +0100, Julian Field
<MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Paul Bijnens wrote:

> in

> lines

>>> No, your version would match against any string that contained the
>>> string "a-z" in it (in upper or lower case).
>>>

>> Excuse me :-) but "/a-z/i" is your version and that will search for
>> a string "a-z" lower or upper case.  My version, "/[a-z]/i", will match
>> a name with at least one letter in it.  Which is what you're trying to
>> do, I believe.
>>
> It appears I owe you a rather large apology :-(
> Sorry!
> Many thanks for pointing out the error in my code. I have fixed it and
> put out a new beta with it fixed.
>
>> You're effectively removing any RBL hits now, which is the main reason
>> why no more FP's got hit by the current beta tester(-s? -- only one
>> person as far I see had the problem).
>>
>> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2007-May/073331.html
>>
>> I'm still interested in the exact list of RBLs in his config.
>> Does it happen when 1 list is added? Two?  Some particular list only?

>>> If I printed the string of @HitList it turned out to have no contents,
>>>

>> How?    Something like:
>>
>>     @HitList = ( "" );	# somehow this ended up in the list
>>     $temp = @HitList;
>>     warn("HitList contains $temp entries: '@HitList'\n");
>>
>> No (visible) contents, but still one element in the array.
>>

>>> so the scalar of it should have been zero. I have seen the problem of
>>> "0" not always equaling zero a few other times, hence the addition of
>>> zero to it to try to fix it, which has normally fixed the problem
>>>

>> You can have that problem with "" or undef, acting as 0 in calculations
>> but not showing up as a "0" when printed. Indeed fixed by explicitly
>> converting to number by adding "+ 0".
>>

>>> elsewhere. The new modification has only been recently needed, the code
>
>>> has worked perfectly well for years (the previous version was very old
>>> code). If it had been needed before, people would have been complaining
>
>>> loudly about this for the past few years, and they haven't been. So if
>>> the start of the list doesn't contain a letter (all RBL names must
>>> contain at least 1 letter or they wouldn't work) then the list must
>>> actually be empty, so I force it to return zero.
>>>

>> So we have to find out where the list element comes from that does
>> not contain a letter, but is empty instead.  Instead of covering up the
>> bug here.  (Still not convinced it is a perl bug.)
>> Maybe most people use some RBLs at the MTA-level to block the incoming
>> mail completely and/or use other RBLs in SA for scoring, and let the
>> spam list entry in MailScanner empty.  Or the bug happens only on
>> a timeout, like suggested in the OP problem, or only for certain
>> combinations of timeout values, etc, etc.

>>> Yes. I have another demo of a Perl bug which I'll post for you if you
>>> like. Perl is not bug-free.
>>>

>> Sure not.  But, speaking for myself, it's usually in my own
> [...]
--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s http://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: 543A E778 7F2D 98F1 3E50 9C1F F190 93E0 E8E8 0CF8
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0xE8E80CF8
// Phone: +44 (0) 845 869 2749  SIP: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.