Archiving non-spam

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 21 18:52:32 IST 2007

Kevin Miller spake the following on 5/21/2007 10:17 AM:
> I've been toying with the idea of archiving incoming mail (non-spam).
> My MailScanner box is just a gateway and forwards non-spam on to our
> Exchange server.  I've been thinking it would be a good idea to have it
> store inbound non-spam for a couple weeks to a month, in case the
> Exchange server goes south for some reason.  That way, no mail would be
> lost between the time of the last backup and the time of the last rites
> (and whenever Exchange gets restored).  I've got a couple questions on
> doing so though.
>
> Right now, the Archive Mail setting is as follows:
>  #Archive Mail = /var/spool/MailScanner/archive
>  Archive Mail =
>
> Will mail be archived if I simply uncomment the path (and, of course,
> comment out the null path)? Or will I have to add the store command in
> the Non Spam actions?
Using this setting will archive ALL mail (ham, spam, high spam).
If you only want to store non spam you could add a "store" directive to your
non-spam actions. If you use Mailwatch, this works good, as it will be stored
along with any spam you archive.

> Is /var/spool/MailScanner/archive the default and doesn't need to be
> uncommented or must it be explicitly set?
>
> The comment in the Non Spam Actions says
>  "#  store       - store the message in the quarantine"
>
> Is the word "quarantine" a copy/paste carry over from the Spam Actions
> comments?  Or will the messages be stored in quarantine?  I'd expect
> they'd end up in /var/spool/MailScanner/archive.
The store directive will store in quarantine, under a nonspam directory.

> I've been quarantining spam for some time, and was looking at the
> messages in there and noticed that the headers and body were combined -
> they weren't in sendmail format.  I expect that archived mail will be
> stored the same way.  I can easily release a quarantined message with
> MailWatch w/o having to worry about the storage format but I'm not not
> sure how to do the same with archived mail.  I was hoping I could just
> move all the messages back to /var/spool/mqueue.in but since they're not
> in df/qf format I doubt that will work.  How does one get them back in
> sendmail format.  Mostly I'd be doing this in a batch - i.e., thousands
> of messages, not one or two at a time.
You could forward all the nonspam to a separate account, and use an IMAP
client to move the mails from one place to another.

> Finally, the quarantined messages are stored in directories named by
> date (i.e. 20070521) - will archive do the same thing or will I have to
> use the _DATE_ string?  Any issues with modifying the
> /etc/cron.daily/clean.quarantine script to get rid of archives older
> than X days?
Archive needs the data setting to split by date. The conf file has the
examples for the different choices for the archive mail setting.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and