Scalability of 'spam.whitelist.rules' facility

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 21 15:54:14 IST 2007

Gareth wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 10:35, Res wrote:

>> On Mon, 21 May 2007, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
>>

>>> Why not migrate them to MySQL and use the SQLBlackWhiteList.pm that is
>>> available from the MailWatch package ?
>>>
>> This might be fine on low loaded systems, but to do a lookup for every
>> email on major networks would fail, as sql would not keep up unless you
>> clustered and nobody is going to do that just for whitelisting.
>>
>> I've seen it with vpopmail for instance the cdb file can handle over 6000
>> concurrent connections with no ill affect, sql spits farts and dies at
>> 1/5th of that value unless you cluster, so it's a pointless expense.
>>

> It doesn't work like that though. When the mailscanner instance starts
> the code loads the contents of the black/whitelist into memory and then
> checks to see if any changes have been made every 15 minutes.

MailWatch might do that, but MailScanner doesn't.
Since every rule can be an arbitrary regular expression, each and every
rule must be checked against the addressing information of each message.
You can't just do a quick lookup.

This is why slurping it into a hash table is faster, so long as you can
impose the restriction that every rule is only a complete email address
or a complete domain name. Imposing the artificial restriction enables
you to greatly optimise the  way you can look up the rules for each
message. The MailScanner configuration compiler does not (yet) include
such as optimisation. But it does contain the means for you to be able
to write your own (Custom Functions).

> This reduces the load on the sql server but of course does increase
> memory usage and the startup time for the mailscanner process.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM