Scalability of 'spam.whitelist.rules' facility

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Mon May 21 10:21:16 IST 2007

Why not migrate them to MySQL and use the SQLBlackWhiteList.pm that is
available from the MailWatch package ?

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:06:37 +0100, "Quentin Campbell"
<Q.G.Campbell at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> Our 'spam.whitelist.rules' file currently has over 4,000 entries and is
> growing at the rate of about 200-300 entries each week.
>
> At what point does the number of entries in the whitelist file become
> 'too many' and impact the performance of MailScanner?
>
> If all of our users requested just one address each to be whitelisted
> then 'spam.whitelist.rules' would have more than 20,000 entries!
>
> [The increase in requests to whitelist is probably because the recently
> enabled Bayesian filter in SpamAssassin has had a significant impact on
> increasing the amount of tagged spam but at the cost of an increase in
> false positives.]
>
> Quentin
> ---
> PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
>                            Newcastle University,
>                            Newcastle upon Tyne,
> FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.

--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s http://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: 543A E778 7F2D 98F1 3E50 9C1F F190 93E0 E8E8 0CF8
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0xE8E80CF8
// Phone: +44 (0) 845 869 2749  SIP: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.