way OT: add header (mailscanner) to be parsed by Outlook plugin for reporting false-negatives?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat May 19 10:20:23 IST 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> Ok, sorry to go so far OT, but if you all can wax sentimental about
> perforators and the Tardis, I this this ought to be ok. :-)  I even
> added a mailscanner function (adding a header to a processed message) to
> make it slightly more ON-topic.
>
> I already have a modified MailWatch in place that let's users see their
> quarantined mail and release messages one at a time, and I can easily
> have MailScanner add a header to "ham" containing information to be
> acted on by a user agent (Outlook).  I'm wondering though, has anyone
> put together an add-on for Outlook to allow easy "Report this message as
> spam" functionality?  I'd like my (Outlook) users to be able to report
> spam that I've missed without having to leave the client to do so.
>
> I'd imagine it working like so:
> For "ham", MS would add a header with uniquely identifiable info, such
> as the message ID.  When the message is viewed in Outlook, the user
> would say, "Hey, this is missed spam!", and click a checkbox, which
> would in turn causethis (as yet non-existant?) Outlook plugin to do
> *something* (such as executing a program in another thread, quietly)
> which would connect to my mailscanner system and report the message as
> spam.
>
> I'm seriously considering writing such a plugin, but if anyone's already
> done so or has a better solution, I'd rather avoid the wasted effort.

There is a similar plugin for the competition. Based on the unique
identifier and URL to the webinterface the plugin can be used to mark both
SPAM and HAM or just jump to the webinterface.

With MailScanner you can point to each and every message with a direct
URL. So if you add that as header then you can use the plugin to mark it
as HAM or SPAM or even blacklist/whitelist the sender.

Given that the casual outlook user will not be able to tell the difference
between a sender and the From: line such a blacklist/whitelist option may
not entirely work as they expect.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)