way OT: add header (mailscanner) to be parsed by Outlook plugin for reporting false-negatives?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Fri May 18 22:58:21 IST 2007

Ok, sorry to go so far OT, but if you all can wax sentimental about
perforators and the Tardis, I this this ought to be ok. :-)  I even
added a mailscanner function (adding a header to a processed message) to
make it slightly more ON-topic.

I already have a modified MailWatch in place that let's users see their
quarantined mail and release messages one at a time, and I can easily
have MailScanner add a header to "ham" containing information to be
acted on by a user agent (Outlook).  I'm wondering though, has anyone
put together an add-on for Outlook to allow easy "Report this message as
spam" functionality?  I'd like my (Outlook) users to be able to report
spam that I've missed without having to leave the client to do so.

I'd imagine it working like so:
For "ham", MS would add a header with uniquely identifiable info, such
as the message ID.  When the message is viewed in Outlook, the user
would say, "Hey, this is missed spam!", and click a checkbox, which
would in turn causethis (as yet non-existant?) Outlook plugin to do
*something* (such as executing a program in another thread, quietly)
which would connect to my mailscanner system and report the message as
spam.

I'm seriously considering writing such a plugin, but if anyone's already
done so or has a better solution, I'd rather avoid the wasted effort.

Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com
Herff Jones, Inc. Unix / Network Administrator
Phone: 317.612.3519
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Unix.