OT: SPF

Gareth list-mailscanner at linguaphone.com
Wed May 16 13:38:45 IST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:19, Jan Agermose wrote:
> Hi
>

> Im having trouble subscribing to the SPF list so Im going to ask you
> guys J
>

> I have a customer who has a domain on a mailserver we handle. The
> mails that gets send to this domain are all forwarded to other email
> accounts not on our servers – nothing special about that I think. This
> means if you send a mail to mail at domain-at-our-server.dk the mail gets
> forwarded to say info at some-other-domain.dk.
>

> Now a person (sending at domain.dk) who has posted a SPF record for his
> domain is sending to mail at domain-at-our-server.dk and the mail is of
> cause forwarded to info at some-other-domain.dk like it should be, but
> the problem is that now the mail is rejected by the end-receiver
> saying that mail from sending at domain.dk is not allowed to come from
> our server. Im thinking this must be a mistake on the part of the
> receiver?
>

> http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=michael.a.hansen%40gmx.net&ip=213.150.56.221&receiver=mx3.one.com
>

> our mailserver is a std. Merak mailserver – std. setup for forwarding
> mails. How can I check this / verify it’s the end receiving server
> that checks the SPF record the wrong way?

Thats the way SPF is designed to work. If your users are using a
forwarding service then you need to make sure that your mail server is
considered to be trusted or turn off SPF checking altogether. If they
are using a public email system (google, hotmail etc...) where this is
not possible then you need to use SRS. See http://www.openspf.org/SRS