Detecting forwarded spam

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Tue May 15 19:59:47 IST 2007

Michael Masse a écrit :

>> Great idea.
>>
>> Not!
>>
>> I'll just send you 100,000 spams with an "X-Spam-Report: IsSpam=yes"
>> header.
>>
>> Just what you wanted?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Why would I care?   If MailScanner could pick them out, then I wouldn't waste any time with spamassassin on them and they could just get sent to /dev/null.
>
> So yes, it is just what I wanted.
>
> Mike

Do you delete all spam MS catches?  If so then I guess you could do the
same with spam identified by others, but otherwise how would you know
the score of the spam you received?  Even if you could find it, would
you trust it?  It could be abused.

I delete all spam which score 20 or more.  This is quite conservative
but I nonetheless delete close to 90% of all spam MS finds.  That leaves
10% to my users' scrutiny.  If I elected to trust other sites about spam
detection I can't think of a way I could still delete all that spam
without going overboard and deleting borderline spam that happen to be
ham...

I would definitely not use such a feature!

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste