SMPID vs. INPID

RayJ raywjohnson at gmail.com
Sat May 12 02:55:40 IST 2007

Alden Levy <alden <at> engineno9inc.com> writes:

> I had a problem a long time ago on my old server that never got solved;
> unfortunately, it's reared it's ugly head on the new server (I had to copy
> over a file from the old server), and I'd like to put it to bed for good.
>
> Basically, when I start MS, all works well, but when I check status, I get
> an error
> # service MailScanner status
> Checking MailScanner daemons:
>          MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>          incoming sendmail:                                [ FAIL ]
>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>
> However, it works fine as it is.  In order to get rid of the fail, though,
> I've been updating sendmail.in.pid with the proper pid, and everything
> works.
> --SNIP--
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> For the record, I am running MS 4.68.9-1 and SA 3.18 on CentOS 4.4.
>
> Thanks,
> Alden

Hi Alden,
Found this while looking for an answer to the same problem:

This is what fix it!
service MailScanner stop
service sendmail stop <-- Important!

Make sure no PIDs remain:
ls -al /var/run
  MailScanner.pid
  sendmail.out.pid
  sendmail.pid <-- This one seemed to be the problem!
  sm-client.pid

Not sure these had any effect, but tried anyway!
chkconfig --del mailscanner
chkconfig --del sendmail
chkconfig --add sendmail
chkconfig --add mailscanner