feature request MailScanner with MySQL

Derek Buttineau derek at csolve.net
Thu May 10 14:21:50 IST 2007

On 2007-May-10, at 9:06 AM, Holger Nöfer wrote:

> I think it is a nice feature to include MySQL in
> Mailscanner.
>
> What do you think about to get the /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules files
> from a database?
> For example postfix can get its mappings, like access, virtual maps
> and
> so on from a MySQL database and has a little cache.
>
> For MailScanner you can create a little cache so that MailScanner
> does not need to look into the database for each mail.
>
> The advantage is that it is more flexible und you can create a
> gui, web application or whatever to fill the MySQL database.
> And you don't need to restart MailScanner for every rule change.
>
> What do you think about it, is it possible?
> Does someone else need it?

You can extend MailScanner to include this functionality through the
use of CustomFunctions.  The function call can then be substituted
for the rule file in MailScanner.conf.

Personally, we used mysql calls with MailScanner in development years
ago and while it worked it got fairly slow when dealing with large
amounts of incoming e-mail.  We currently use the CDB database
package to provide rulesets to MailScanner, it's incredibly fast.

Anyway, you can pretty much make MailScanner do whatever you want
through CustomFunctions :)

--
Regards,

Derek Buttineau