Clamav suggestions

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 10 10:51:08 IST 2007

That would slow it down a lot, as it would require another run of the
command-line scanner(s).

MailScanner always tries to deliver as much of the message as possible.
So if you had 3 docs attached to an email message, 1 of which had a
macro virus, scanning the whole message with ClamAV would result in none
of the attachments getting through. Whereas MailScanner's philosophy is
that the other 2 docs and the message body text should still get
delivered as they are not infected. So I don't want to throw the whole
message at ClamAV either.

- --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> Why not just scan the whole file after all the individual scans, but only if it hasn't detected anything in the individual element ones ?
>
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 09:43:16 +0200, Fabio Pedretti <pedretti at eco.unibs.it> wrote:
>
>> Citando "Koopmann, Jan-Peter" <jan-peter at koopmann.eu>:

>>> Except for convincing the clamav developers to put in another scan
>>> option. When called with this option they would not check for the
>>> existance of mail headers. I have no idea how delighted they would
>>> be if we proposed this though. Any volunteers? :-)
>>>
>> I don't know if this is a good solution. Clamav check for this strings
>> only in mails, as check for macro viruses only in MS files, for unix
>> viruses only on ELF files, etc...
>> I think the problem is in how MailScanner call clamav, giving it all
>> separated attachments and not the full mail.
>>
>> --

>> --
>> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
>> MailScanner, and is
>> believed to be clean.

Jules

- --