MailScanner w/ Qmail / Plesk ( format error: file is too short )

Cameron B. Prince cplists at princeservices.com
Thu May 10 06:22:41 IST 2007

Hi Res,

> > Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.58.9) is correct.

> > MailScanner setting GID to  (2520)
> > MailScanner setting UID to  (2520)

> This seems strange if you are using qmail. UID and GID should differ,
> UID is qmailq, GID is qmail

I agree... This is strange, but as you can see from a grep of the config
file, the user and group settings are correct:

Run As User = qmailq
Run As Group = qmail
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/qmail/queue.in/mess
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/qmail/queue/mess
MTA = Qmail
Sendmail = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject.mailscanner
Sendmail2 = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject.mailscanner

I noticed the Qmail is lower case in your example... Mine was capitalized by
the setup script. I've read documentation showing it both ways. I left it
capitalized because that matches the MailScanner module name. I switched it
tonight and it made no difference.

> Make sure qmail can write to your MS working dir

Here are the permissions:

drwxr-xr-x  11 qmailq qmail 4096 May  8 22:22 queue
drwxr-xr-x   6 qmailq qmail 4096 May  9 22:54 queue.in

> > Is there a way to do an strace or something similar to get more verbose
> > debugging?

> - --lint --debug

I tried a few variations of this and either got the same output or none.

> also try this, if you are certain it is to do with archive::zip (i'm not
> convinced myself)

> Whats the output of:

> perl -MArchive::Zip -le "print Archive::Zip->VERSION";

> ....Should return 1.18 if lower, upgrade that package, it can't hurt.

I'm by no means convinced... I just saw the same error in a forum post
related to Archive::Zip... I really don't know why that would be called in
this case anyway as the test message has no attachment.

Here's the output:

# perl -MArchive::Zip -le "print Archive::Zip->VERSION";
1.16

I went ahead and upgraded Archive::Zip and noticed that the make test failed
because of missing perquisite File::Which and I thought I was on to
something. I installed both modules and did the test again with the same
results.

The line that generates the error is calling a method called Explode:

$batch->Explode();

I looked over the code in Message.pm and I'm wondering if it could be an
issue with MIME::Parser. What do you think?

Thanks,
Cameron