MailScanner w/ Qmail / Plesk

Cameron B. Prince cplists at princeservices.com
Wed May 9 04:44:48 IST 2007

Hey guys,

I have a new dedicated server with Plesk. I originally purchased the
SpamAssassin and Dr. Web anti-virus plugins but they just don't compare to
MailScanner w/ MailWatch.

I followed the instructions to setup MailScanner with Qmail here:

http://qms.ausics.net/

I verified all the perl modules and checked the updates to the
MailScanner.conf file. When I started MailScanner the init script complained
that the MTA was invalid. I started Qmail manually and sent a test message.
When the message hit the SMTP I got a queue error returned to the client.

I ran this command and the queue errors went away:

chmod u+s /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue

Now a test message produces this in the log:

relaylock: /var/qmail/bin/relaylock: mail from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:61451
(my.domain.com)
MailScanner[6489]: New Batch: Scanning 1 messages, 668 bytes
MailScanner[6489]: SpamAssassin cache hit for message 7064403
MailScanner[6489]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
MailScanner[6489]: Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages
MailScanner[6489]: Logging message 7064403 to SQL
MailScanner[6451]: 7064403: Logged to MailWatch SQL

When I checked the other mailbox for the message I found that it was never
received. I enabled debugging and got this output when I tried another test
message:

/usr/sbin/MailScanner
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
format error: file is too short
 at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 832
Stopping now as you are debugging me.
commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
<CLIENT> line 34.
Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
<CLIENT> line 34.

I know this patch for Qmail is pretty old and I wonder if this is the cause
or if it's more likely to be a problem with the Plesk version of Qmail. Can
anyone give me some ideas to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Cameron

PS Here's the output of a lint test:

/usr/sbin/MailScanner --lint
Read 764 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Config: calling custom init function SQLBlacklist
Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
Config: calling custom init function SQLWhitelist
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.58.9) is correct.
MailScanner setting GID to  (2520)
MailScanner setting UID to  (2520)

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
lock.pl sees Config  LockType =  flock
lock.pl sees have_module =  0
Using locktype = flock
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = f-prot"
Found these virus scanners installed: f-prot