SMPID vs. INPID

Alden Levy alden at engineno9inc.com
Wed May 9 03:39:42 IST 2007

>Scott Silva ssilva wrote on Wed May 9 00:17:19 IST 2007
>>Scott Silva ssilva wrote on Tue May 8 21:08:43 IST 2007
>>>Alden Levy spake the following on 5/8/2007 12:16 PM:

`/var/run/sendmail.in.pid' for

>>>Your init script could be either damaged, or an old version.
>>
>>But I did a diff on my init script and the RedHat script you sent earlier
>>today, and there is no difference.  Can it still be corrupted?
>>
>>I was wondering if I should look elsewhere, or just try to reinstall.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Alden
>>
>You do have sendmail disabled, don't you?

Yep.  But I'm going to double check, anyway.  I've done "chkconfig sendmail
off" a few times, but I'll try again.

However, when I start sendmail, I have 3 instances running:
# ps aux|grep sendmail
root     23940  0.0  0.0  9092 1888 ?        Ss   22:36   0:00 sendmail:
accepting connections

smmsp    23944  0.0  0.0  6940 1656 ?        Ss   22:36   0:00 sendmail:
Queue runner at 00:15:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
root     23949  0.0  0.0  8296 1780 ?        Ss   22:36   0:00 sendmail:
Queue runner at 00:15:00 for
/home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/services/sendmail/mqueue

The first one doesn't stop when I service MailScanner stop, and I have to
issue a service sendmail stop in order to kill it.

Curiouser and curiouser... Is this good/bad/indifferent?  I've been seeing
this for a while, as this was what I had on my old server, but I don't
remember what was running when it was working properly.