SMPID vs. INPID

Alden Levy alden at engineno9inc.com
Tue May 8 20:16:08 IST 2007

Hugo van der Kooij wrote on Tue May 8 20:09:32 IST 2007
>On Tue, 8 May 2007, Alden Levy wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this.  Now, I'm really confused; the RedHat init script is
>> identical to the one I'm using.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea of where else I should look? (Quick recap:
>> /var/run/sendmail.in.pid is not getting updated, so
/etc/init.d/MailScanner
>> status lists incoming sendmail as failed.  sm-client.pid looks fine,
>> though.)
>
>If you stop MailScanner the PID file should be gone. If not then you
>should remove it by hand and see if it happens to get recreated at
>startup.
>
>Hugo.
>
>--
> 	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hugo.vanderkooij.org/
> 	    This message is using 100% recycled electrons.

Well, that was a mistake!  Now after removing the file by hand, and
restarting, I run status and get:
Checking MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail: head: cannot open `/var/run/sendmail.in.pid' for
reading: No such file or directory
                                                           [FAILED]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

Any other thoughts?
 Thanks,
Alden