writing to /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Tue May 8 15:21:40 IST 2007

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> I have /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming mounted as tmpfs.
>
> I have a mail related script (duplicate msg remover) that could
> benefit from writing to tmpfs instead of physical disk.  Is it OK for
> my script to use some space in MailScanner/incoming or does
> MailScanner only expect to see it's own stuff in there?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Isn't this really dangerous? If you lose power or reboot the machine
without an empty incoming queue, you will lose messages. To reboot you
would have to stop the incoming mail process, let MailScanner clean out
the queue, then reboot. Or am I missing something that would prevent you
from losing messages?