Clamav suggestions

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat May 5 17:22:40 IST 2007

Rick Cooper wrote:

> I am in the process of incorporating a direct call to ClamD via sockets into
> my own MailScanner installs and it wouldn't require additional modules
> beyond IO::Socket::UNIX (could be done with just Socket but I prefer the
> IO::Socket::UNIX wrapper). Also handles both Unix sockets as well as Inet
> sockets.
>
> The benefit for someone like me is I use clamd with exim, so it's already
> running and wouldn't require additional resources and it's very fast (faster
> than calling clamdscan). It wouldn't require MailScanner to watch the clam
> data files as the freshclam process already notifies clamd as to changes.
> Anyone who is using clamdscan would certainly benefit by calling clamd
> directly rather than via any of the wrappers.
>
> As far as fallback is concerned I am inclined to add an options for a
> restart script if clamd is found to be down, or doesn't respond (properly)
> to PING. I have been very busy the last few months so I haven't gotten past
> a stand alone proof of concept perl program, but I am hoping to have it
> integrated in the next week or so time permitting. If Julian is interested I
> would certainly send patches to the list when I am satisfied.

Yes, I welcome any contribution, so long as the patch isn't *too* big! :-)
Please try to keep your patch as self-contained as possible, so you
just, for example, rewrite the init code for the clamd parser and the
output parser itself. Please just make it as clean and modular as you
can. You can see from the rest of the code the type of Perl I write. I
use the syntactical short-cut facilities in the language, I don't just
write Java/C in Perl the way a lot of people do. And please don't feel
upset if I take your code and appear to rewrite it :-)

Thanks,
Jules.

> Rick

> believed to be clean.