Clamav suggestions

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Fri May 4 21:38:53 IST 2007

Arto wrote:
> Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> Fabio Pedretti wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) Support for clamd trough clamdscan is nice, however, best would
>>> be to connect to clamd directly to its socket (or network socket)
>>> from MailScanner, without call clamdscan, and fallback to clamscan
>>> if clamd is not working.
>>
>> Why not just run clamavmodule? From my understanding, the support for
>> clamd was added so that those that didn't want to keep up with the
>> Perl module required for clamavmodule would have something faster
>> than clamscan. Any direct call to clamd from MailScanner would
>> require a Perl module, so at that point you're losing the
>> requirements benefit of running clamd.
>
> FYI, we have used all of those during last three weeks. First clamav
> (indeed about two year before this period), then clamavmodule and
> during this week clamd.
>
> Our MX server passes normally about 10k mails/day (MS, postgrey,
> postfix and SA) and clamd is IMHO the most comfortable as regards
> load, memory and swap. The server is a vmware client (CentOS4.4 ) with
> 2 x 2,4 GHz and 775 Mb memory reserved to client. After start the swap
> is with clamd under 40 Mb and it will remain there. With clamavmodule
> and clamav the swap varies from 40 to 400 Mb and the load can be even
> over 20 with clamav.
>
> More details from our Cacti stats:
> http://www.artio.fi/.component/imageGenerator.php?fileName=%2Fwebroot%2Fweb%2Ffocus%2Fwww%2Fimnetti%2Fmedia%2F0%2F10841.png&cache=1&cachePrefix=.cache
>
> The first week was runned with clamav till midday of thursday, after
> that with clamavmodule and this week with clamd.
>
> With numbers this week (four workdays because of free Monday,
> otherwise typical):
>
> received: 33307
> spam: 836
> rejected: 163033
> virus: 5
> bounced: 150
> sent: 8331
>
> -arto

You may want to decrease the number of MailScanner processes running
under Max Children. I've got a vmware guest with 1 GB of RAM. The host
is a dual socket dual core 3.2 GHz Xeon. We're not see any swap at all
running clamavmodule. However, I have Max Children set to 7. This
particular scanner handles internal mail only and scan times are only a
couple of seconds during the middle of the day with batch sizes of 1 or
2. From Monday to Thursday I see these numbers:

Spam: 190
Virus: 456