Use of variables within archive rulesets

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Fri May 4 01:41:59 IST 2007

I've got a few clients who choose to archive all their incoming and
outgoing e-mail using the "Archive Mail =" function, using a ruleset
such as:

From:   alice at domain.tld   /home/archiveaccount/mail/outgoing/alice
To:      alice at domain.tld   /home/archiveaccount/mail/incoming/alice
FromOrTo:   default   /home/archiveaccount/mail/BCCs

... so that mail from alice and to alice goes to the "alice"
IMAP-accessible "folder" on the "archiveaccount" user's account, and
those that aren't covered by any of the rules (such as BCCs, users I've
forgotten to add to the ruleset list, and funky NDRs and stuff) get
archived to a separate "BCCs and such" account.

I'd like to know if it would be possible to use some sort of variable
(systemwide or generated) that would allow me to do something like:

From:   alice at domain.tld
/home/archiveaccount/mail/%year%/%month%/outgoing/alice
To:   alice at domain.tld
/home/archiveaccount/mail/%year%/%month%/incoming/alice

How would one go about this? I believe I'd have to create the structure
first and change the ownerships and permissions so that the user
MailScanner runs under can write to it, and the "archiveaccount" user
can read from it, but besides that I wouldn't know where to begin.

Suggestions?