32 bit distro or 64?

Rick Chadderdon mailscanner at yeticomputers.com
Thu May 3 16:39:15 IST 2007

Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Couldn't you just run the 32bit versions of the virus scanners? We're
> not talking about full 64 bit like Itaniums or any other number of
> other processors out there. We're just talking about 64 bit extended
> OSs. I run plenty of 32bit applications on my 64bit OS without any
> problems. Of course I have the 32bit and 64bit versions of all the
> libraries installed to do this.
>
> Richard

Yes.  It is normally not a problem (although I would not say "never",
since I have had issues with some apps simply not working in a 64-bit
environment, 32-bit version or not) to run 32-bit apps.  However, I
don't really see the point of running a 64-bit OS if one is going to run
a bunch of 32-bit apps for "compatibility".  It's a personal call, of
course.  For mission critical apps, I prefer to run software than was
designed specifically to work properly in the environment I'm using.
But...  I break that rule sometimes, so I guess I can't fault anyone
else for doing so.  :)

Still, it is much easier to get support from a vendor if you're using
their software the way that they intended.  I can already hear, "Oh, I'm
sorry, we don't support that product running on a 64-bit OS."  Even if
the problem you're having is not related to the OS at all.  Just
something to consider.

Rick