A lot of spam getting through

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 1 08:11:34 IST 2007

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I am having quite a few spam get through.  I thought
> that I had quite a few things installed and configured correctly.
> Actually they used to work really well then when I had to rebuild bayes
> as there were too many FP and turn off RBL's, then a lot of spam are
> getting through.  Somewhere around 50-100 per user are seemingly getting
> through on a weekend.  I have put down as much information as I thought
> about for my configuration.  I am looking for recommendations to
> recrease my block rate.  Please let me know if I left any information
> out.  jThank you.

<SNIP>

> After looking at a few emails I can see that pyzor and DCC and bayes are
> scoring:
> Score Matching Rule Description
> cached not
>  score=24.094
> 6 required
>  autolearn=spam
> 2.17 DCC_CHECK Listed in DCC (http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)
> 0.33 FH_DATE_ISNT_2006
> 0.77 FH_DATE_ISNT_200X
> 0.40 FH_LEADINGPREP
> 0.71 FS_START_BUY
> 3.70 PYZOR_CHECK Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
> 0.61 SARE_SXLIFE Talks about your sex life
> 3.81 URIBL_AB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
> 4.09 URIBL_JP_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
> 3.01 URIBL_OB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL blocklist
> 4.50 URIBL_SC_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist

Are these the scores that your system gives to one of the emails that
are gettig through?  If so that scored 24 points.  So this email should
have been filtered.  This suggests to me that the problem isn't with SA
but with something in your MailScanner settings.

If these aren't the scores from one of the emails that are getting
through can you save an email to a text file and send the output of the
following command:

spamassassin --test-mode < email.txt

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples