Mailscanner and opensuse

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 27 22:03:50 CEST 2007

Paul Hutchings spake the following on 3/27/2007 1:17 AM:
> Could you expand on "Also don't use the installed spamassasin and
> clamav. Use Julians install script for them." please?
>
> I'm reading the Mailscanner PDF manual now and it suggests to do that,
> but does make it too clear why.  Being very much a beginner, as you can
> imagine, using RPMs does make life much easier for me, and from my (very
> limited so far) testing spam and virus scanning seems to be working with
> the default OpenSuse RPMs?
>
> Basically I'd like to keep things simple, and if I need to change that I
> would like to know why so I can document the process etc.

Mailscanner looks for things to be in a certain place, and some distributions
customize their rpm versions of things. You will also not usually have the
latest versions of clamav and spamassassin, and they usually only perform at
their peak if they are the latest versions. Rpm does simplify things, but
having to download and install from only 2 tarballs every few months isn't
that big of a deal. Mailscanner usually only comes out as stable every 2
months (although the developer has been sidelined due to illness), and
spamassassin maybe a few times a year. Clamav will complain if it is one
version back, and no one really knows how many versions it will go back before
it's functionality with newer signatures starts to fail.

Using the latest will help with your spam and virus detections, sometimes
quite a lot, and it is worth the small extra effort.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and