Bypassing Mailscanner for Outgoing mail?

Paul Hutchings paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 21:57:02 CEST 2007

Mailscanner/Linux newbie here (I know enough to get by).

I'm building a new Suse/Postfix box as an SMTP gateway and want to
achieve the following:

Scan inbound mail for spam and viruses.
Scan outbound mail for viruses only, and add a disclaimer.

AIUI mailscanner looks at ALL mail that Postfix handles, so I'm trying
to work out how I would achieve the above.

>From what I've read, I believe that what I can do is use a single
Postfix instance and use rulsets to do the following:

1) Set "Virus Scanning" to scan all mail for viruses (default).
2) Set "Spam Checks" to exclude outbound mail from spam scanning by IP
address (it threw me that a "From:" rule can also refer to an
IP/Subnet).
3) Set "Sign Clean Messages" to only include mail from our internal
servers IP.

I assume by default that if an outbound message passes the virus check,
but does not get scanned for spam that it meets the criteria of being an
"uninfected message" for "Sign Clean Messages" to fire?

Have to say I felt rather daunted by MailScanner.config but it actually
makes a lot more sense to me that trying to use the Webmin module.

Anyway, appreciate any comments as to if I'm going about this the right
way or not?

cheers,
Paul
--