Bounced Mail - DNS Problems?

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Mar 25 22:55:09 CEST 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Johnny Stork wrote:

> ALL outgoing mail appears to come from smtp.johnnystork.ca? Most messages

LOCAL_DOMAIN(`smtp.johnnystork.ca')dnl

> btw: How/why does the hostname and internal ip of the laptop sending the
> message also show up? (johnny-lt.johnnystork.ca)

Not being a windows weenie I can't be sure but sounds like
computer_name + domain_name on laptop.

>   (reason: 554 <unknown[207.216.240.22]>: Client host rejected: rDNS/DNS
> validation failed. Please setup matching DNS and rDNS records:

This guy is more anal that me...(and I didn't think thats possible)

He will be blocking hundreds of thousands of hosted domains worldwide.
Enforce forward looking and enforce PTR, BUT there should never ever be
any full double match checking for reasons just mentioned, it's his
problem, not yours.

His mailer is completely broken.. He is trying to read an earleir
irrelevant received line. The only one he should be concerend with is the
connecting one, in your case: (certain data munged deliberately)

Nowhere in THAT line does it reflect and internal address.
If you gave real world DNS to gateway.xx.xx I'd maybe think ok its very
far remotely possible, but you haven't.

--
Cheers
Res

Let Novell known what you think of their back door deal with the devil.
Sign the petition today:   http://techp.org/p/1/