IP address reputation, BorderWare

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Mar 25 10:39:36 CEST 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Rick Chadderdon wrote:

> Res wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Kevin Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Bandwidth that isn't used by a spammer is bandwidth that is available
>>> for your users to use.  No magic there.  Think freeway - would you
>>> rather drive it under rush hour conditions or 3am conditions?
>>>

>> And since 75% of all internet pkts these days is spam your point is valid.
>
> Hardly.  I've still seen nobody provide any evidence that any of this insane
> spam bandwidth directly affects the experience *any* of us have on the 'net.

Really... more spam = higher data usage = more bandwith use = provision
more bandwith to avoid whinging customers = more cost

> important to any consumer.  If I'm getting what I pay for, and the price is
> one I'm willing to pay, as a consumer I *don't care* how much of the
> bandwidth I'm *not* getting is being used by spammers.  In fact, to be fair,

thats a rather irresponsible attitude.

> available increased.  Without them, the providers would still be charging us
> the old rates.  I don't see anyone lining up to thank the spammers for making
> home broadband affordable.  I remember a decade ago...   At home, I was
> paying about five times what I currently pay for 10 megabits - just to get
> dual-channel DSL. (128K)

10mb? try multi gigabit here.

>> SV is no worse then grey-listing in fact probably LESS, it causes more
>> retries and bandwith yet nobody seems to have a problem with those that do
>> that.
>
> I mentioned that I had some misgivings about greylisting.  The most important
> difference from a moral viewpoint is that greylisting only affects people who
> are directly connecting to me, deliberately.  SAV affects people who never
> tried to mail me.

right... now I see... you want to do it to waste others but get all hissy
fitty when someone does a similar thing back, now I have no idea if you
use greylisting now, but you could tomorrow be ordered to use it.

> None of my routers are named "core".  :P

when you have a couple dozen you tend to name them somthing that helps you
rtmember whats what :)

> I think I've made it clear that it's not the volume of usage that bothers me
> (although there have been days where I've gotten more connections from a SAV
> flood than I did legitimate delivery attempts). It's the thoughtless,
> selfishly justified actions of people who think it's ok to hammer my server
> because it saves them bandwidth.

Again if you dont like it or dont want the risks.. well replacecore above
with your routers name, chuck in an enable and a write command and you
wont have to worry about it ever again :)

> there is no tangible benefit to *anyone* other than the user of SAV, and he's

Wrong, any carried out action to protect someones network by ensuring the
inbound mail is from someone legitimate is a benefit to the receiver by
helping reduce the chances of it being spam and hence wasteing more of
their resources.

> with the rest of us, working to eliminate spam from our users lives - instead
> of just telling them to "deal with it."

You've just contradicted yourself :)
you are in essence saying deal with it, by not wanting someone to run a
measure they think benefits them.

--
Cheers
Res

Let Novell known what you think of their back door deal with the devil.
Sign the petition today:   http://techp.org/p/1/