Mailscanner + spamassassin +Razor + Pyzor + DCC

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 18:38:55 CET 2007

On 15/03/07, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
> > Matt Kettler spake the following on 3/14/2007 11:05 AM:
> >> Em, no. you can define it in MailScanner.cf, spam.assassin.prefs.conf, or local.cf.
> >>
> >> You cannot define it in MailScanner.conf, which is a MailScanner config file.
> >> Mailscanner.cf on the other hand is a spamassassin config file, and lives in the
> >> spamassassin site rules directory.
> > Actually, mailscanner.cf is supposed to be a softlink to
> > spamassassin.prefs.conf. If you have something else, you are breaking the
> > reason that this was done.
>
> First, *I* am the reason that was done. So please don't tell me I'm breaking the
> reason it was done.
>
> Second, I do acknowledge this is how it is by default later on in my message.
>
> IMHO, softlinking spamassassin.prefs.conf to MailScanner.cf is counterproductive.
>
> When I told Julian to move privileged settings to a .cf file, I meant for him to
> *MOVE* them.
>
> That said, the softlinking is probably the only usable solution that can be
> automatically applied to existing installs. But the intent is not to softlink
> the two, that's a compromise to avoid breaking peoples systems.
>
> Now you're all double-parsing the settings for no good reason. Which isn't
> terribly harmful, but it is pointless. You've also defeated all the benefit of
> having a spam.assassin.prefs.conf in the first place.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAICR Jules removed the user-prefs
setting entirely. So unless you have the link in place you will not
get those settings spam.assassin.prefs.conf/mailscanner.cf at all (and
this would imply no "double-parsing" happening). One might say that
the name spam.assassin.prefs.conf is a real mis-nomer now:-).

> IMHO this is the way it should be in a perfect world:
>
> Mailscanner.cf should contain settings you want to apply SA at all times,
> regardless of whether it's invoked via MailScanner or directly using a SA tool.
> bayes_path, dcc/pyzor/razor config, etc. This is important so sa-learn and such
> work properly.
>
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf should contain settings you *only* want to apply to
> MailScanner's run of SA. Most people don't need this, so the file should be
> empty, but if for some reason you have a side process that runs SA directly,
> you'd want to take advantage of it. This way your side-tool can run sa with one
> required_score, and MailScanner can run it with a different one, should you
> desire that.
>
> However, that separation has to be a manual process. Which is why we soft-link
> as a "punt".
Far from it would it be, for me to with you argue (yeah, I'm feeling
especially Yoda today:-).
When Jules gets a bit more mobile it might be a good idea to take up
this discussion again.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn