OT: PHB time...

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Mar 13 19:33:39 CET 2007

Kevin Miller wrote:
> OK, so my boss who is normally an otherwise reasonable guy, calls me
> into his office and says one of the department heads wants out of office
> turned on for internet mail.  He knows that people are tarred and
> feathered for doing that on mail lists, but thinks that the mail lists
> should be filtering those - that with a short case statement they could
> easily do that.  I tried to persuade him otherwise, but he's going to
> poll the other directors and see if it's something they want.  Of course
> they will, not understanding a broader perspective.  Sigh.
>
> It seems like there were other reasons than just list servers that make
> it a bad idea to have out of office messages turned on but I'm not
> really sure what they might be.  I suggested that they provide feedback
> to spammers but he was unconvinced.  So, although it's somewhat OT, I'm
> asking here because I can't think of a more enlightened group of mail
> admins; what are some good solid reasons beyond people on list servers
> hate them, not to publish an out of office reply over the internet?
>
> Thanks...
>
> ...Kevin

Lots of good reasons, but I lost that battle.

One good dictionary attack (if you don't have a really good, properly
functioning, intelligent, AR program) can get you blacklisted.  See
"Joe-Job".

On the flip-side, one good dictionary attack on a business domain with
10 users on vacation, can get you a new server. Worked for me ;^)

DAve

Veterans?