Spam score is negative, yet message is still marked as spam

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Mon Mar 12 14:43:24 CET 2007

> One of the users has been sending messages to the company president.
> These messages are being marked as spam and moved to the spam folder.
>
> However, when I examined the message headers, I found the following:
>
> X-*****************_com-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP
> for more information
> X-*****************_com-MailScanner: Found to be clean
> X-*****************_com-MailScanner-SpamCheck: spam, spamhaus-ZEN,
>  SpamAssassin (not cached, score=-4.17, required 6,
>  autolearn=not spam, ALL_TRUSTED -1.80, BAYES_00 -2.60,
>  HTML_MESSAGE 0.00, HTML_TAG_BALANCE_BODY 0.23)
> X-*****************_com-MailScanner-From: dmakhijani@*****************.com
>

> and the subject had the {Spam?}  inserted.
>
> Why would this be marked as spam, if the score is -4.17 ?

MailScanner hit it on the spamhaus-ZEN RBL, and it MS sees it on an RBL, it will tag it as spam, regardless of what SpamAssassin thinks.

This is why some people decide not to do RBL checks in MS at all, and leave it entirely for SA.

--
  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.". - Anatole France (1844-1924)