Peace proposal: postfix+sendmail+mailscanner

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Mar 10 01:23:16 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> In this holy war of MTA's may I suggest a peace proposal? At least humor me

You may propose, but like many others proposes all over the
world in all different kinds of forums for so many years, so long as
there is more than one MTA there will be many holy wars.. but lets
continue :)

> Just a few assumptions:
> - MailScanner is designed to work on mailqueues. (batch wise)
> - sendmail's way of working with mailqueues does fit MailScanner.

Fact 1 - MailScanner it was written for sendmail :)

> - postfix prefers SMTP conversations between postfix and 3rd party
>   components.

I'll go along with that.

> How about using a stripped down sendmail config to bridge that gap? That
> config could be generic as far as I can figure it out.

Sendmail is only ever as bloated as the features you add in, It disgusts
me the traps that hte like sof RedHat/Fedora anmd Debian and Novell
put in there packages, it asks for trouble :)

And if i'm not mistaken you are suggesting 2 MTA's? or is it just my lack
of sleep?

>> From the postfix perspective sendmail is just another filter pretty much
> like one would do for amavisd, .....

This is weistes way because of his close relationship with that amav...
why should we change to suite them? when it works fine of 3 other most
commonly used MTA's?

> The trick is to build a sendmail config that would do the trick and does not
> require changes for multidomain handling. The SmartHost option would be
> sufficient to handle the hand of back to postfix. (Even I can write that
> part. ;-)

LOL thats almost as crazy as those that say, use postmix with vpopmail,
but yet you still need qmail installed ;)

Having said that, and the crazy bugger that I am, your idea is not totally
insane, I have done (because of qmails inability to be secure without
spending 3 days patching it) a setup as follows which I think is not that
far from what you are saying...

sendmail/MS ----[                       ]
sendmail/MS ----[qmail no bells whistles]---[NFS to netapp filer]
sendmail/MS ----[                       ]

qmail is used as on the mail delivery box to just collect and store into
users MailDir leaving sendmail boxes to do the hard yards, it and several
pop3/webmail servers all mount /home/vpopmail/domains
(all NFS stuff is on separate gbit and uses pvt address space)

Sure it's a cheap, and very very very nasty setup, but it worked last time
I did it, and worked very very well :)

--
Cheers
Res

"If I lay here, If I just lay here, would you lay with with me and just forget the world?"