dealing with dictionary attacks

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Fri Mar 9 23:02:59 CET 2007

On 9 Mar 2007, at 21:44, Steve Campbell wrote:

> How do we deal with dictionary attacks?

With which MTA? Postfix does much of it by default. in_flow_delay is
one such feature:

# A Postfix process will pause for $in_flow_delay seconds before
# accepting a new message, when the message arrival rate exceeds the
# message delivery rate. With the default 50 SMTP server process
# limit, this limits the mail inflow to 50 messages a second more
# than the number of messages delivered per second.
#

then you can also play with the smtpd_error limits, both hard and
soft and tailor those to suit your environment.

Other wise there's always the firewall or the pub either of which can
provide good short term relief :-)

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ