MailSacanner don't work

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Mar 9 20:02:46 CET 2007

Claudio,

I don't know about everyone else that is following this thread, but I got
lost quite a bit ago as to where this has been.

I would wait and see what anyone else posts after this to see if it's
necessary, but I would suggest doing the following, sort of from scratch.

Firstly, if you can afford to do so, stop Mailscanner through whatever means
you would normally do this.
Kill all of the sendmail processes (killall sendmail)

Note any errors that each of the two commands generate.

Make the changes to your sendmail.mc file to allow your sendmail to handle
mail on more that just the loopback as Denis mentioned before. This means to
add the 'dnl' part to the line below if it isn't already there. Then
regenerate your sendmail.cf using this file.

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Use whatever means you have to ensure sendmail does not start on its own. RH
uses either the service command or can be done through chkconfig. Make sure
you don't have one of those systems that starts things if it notices
something is not running!

Now start MailScanner in the way it would normally start. A nice way to do
this in RH is something like the following:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner start; tail -f /var/log/maillog

This will start what is required and then immediately start showing your
maillog as it changes. Control-C ends the maillog scroll.

Next stop MailScanner and ensure it all stops OK. You should see two
sendmail and one MailScanner stopping.

It really didn't look like you had a problem, and _I_ didn't see where it
was happening other than the sendmail.mc misconfiguration.

Then look at your maillog from the time you started it until you stopped it
and let us know of any error messages you saw.

I never was sure if you could use sendmail without Mailscanner before all of
this started, so that would be nice to know also. Mailscanner doesn't really
change your sendmail in any form. It just creates the second instance for
input. You should always be able to stop MailScanner, and start sendmail
using  the normal default way and it should work as sendmail would work
before you installed mailscanner.

Hope this helps, and any info you can throw our way would help us help you.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers