MailSacanner don't work

A. Eijkhoudt penguin at dhcp.net
Fri Mar 9 11:55:05 CET 2007

Hello Claudio,

So far I've seen nothing in your E-mails to indicate that MailScanner
should not be working properly. You seem to have both the Sendmail
processes (queue runners) running, and your process list shows
MailScanner with its childs forked & running as well.

Please note that MailScanner will NOT show up 'listening on a port' with
netstat. It is merely a program that sits idly by until it sees the
sendmail processes put mail in their respective queues.

Also, the init script might just be 'thinking' MailScanner is dead
because it is not seeing the correct process id(s).

Could you please tell us how you concluded that MailScanner is not
working? Have you sent an E-mail while running a 'tail -f' of your
mail.log/maillog file and seen anything happen (errors or not)?

Regards,

A. Eijkhoudt