Good news on Julian Field, and get well cards welcome

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Tue Mar 6 18:07:57 CET 2007

On 06/03/2007, at 10:00 PM, Tim Chown wrote:
> Hopefully not tempting fate by saying there's good news on Julian.
> Just
> had a call from his dad at the hospital and he reports that Jules is
> coming round from under the sedation.    They've been lowering the
> dose
> over the last three days during which he's had no relapses, and this
> morning Jules woke slightly and managed to give a thumbs up sign.

This is excellent news!  Let's all hope and pray his recovery
continues and he is back to health full strength as soon as
possible.  Not so he can necessarily get back to cutting code, but
because Julian is such a top bloke he deserves to feel well.  It's
4am (the life of an admin *sigh*) and I had to check the list to see
if there was news about Jules - this has made tonight's system barf
all worth it!  It also puts into perspective how late-night pages
really aren't so bad, compared to Julian's situation.  Ah, perspective.

> His parents are very keen for people to send cards now (please, no
> flowers!)
> and we'll handle these through his work address, so, please, feel free
> to send your 'get well' cards to:
>
> 	Julian Field
> 	School of Electronics and Computer Science
> 	University of Southampton
> 	Highfield
> 	Southampton SO17 1BJ
> 	United Kingdom

The news agent on the walk between the train station and the office
will be raided and a card sent within a few hours :)

> I'm sure his parents would also be very proud to see a good
> response;  if
> you've all used Jules' code it doesn't take much by way of thanks
> to get
> a card in the post :)

His parent's may get the shock of their life too - I wonder what sort
of "card-alanche" is considered "hazardous" to a person's health??

> Also, every message here was printed out and every one was read to
> him while
> he was under.   We hope he'll be looking through them in person soon!

That is extremely comforting to know.  Despite being spread all over
the globe, it's nice to think we (this list) may have had some part
in making his recovery a little less painful or lonely.  Thanks for
all the updates Tim.  Please pass on my warmest wishes to both Jules
and his family.
--
James